Getting ready and prepared to sell a home fast doesn’t have to be a daunting task or chore. Every owner is looking to sell their home fast at the best price. The key to a successful “Sell Home Fast” strategy is to approach the process one step at a time; focusing on one room at a time. The suggestions below will not only improve the appearance of your home; but will help you prepare for the ULTIMATE GOAL… TO SELL HOME FAST!
SELL HOME FAST – THROUGHOUT THE HOUSE
1. Open the draperies, pull up the shades and let in natural light.
2. Create a positive mood. Turn on all lights (day or night), and install higher wattage light bulbs to show your home brightly.
3. Remove clutter from each room to visually enlarge them.
4. If you have a fireplace, highlight it in your decorating.
5. Keep your home dusted and vacuumed at all times.
6. Replace the carpet if it does not clean up well.
7. Have a family “game plan” to get the home in order quickly if necessary.
8. Air out your home for 30 minutes before showings if possible.
9. Lightly spray the house with air freshener so that it has a chance to diffuse before the buyer arrives.
10. Put family photos in storage.
11. Improve traffic flow through every room by removing unnecessary furniture.
12. Create the feeling of a spacious entry area by using decorative accents and removing unnecessary furniture.
13. Putty over and paint any nail holes or other mishaps in the walls.
14. Paint all interior walls a neutral color to brighten the home. It will make each room appear larger.
15. Repair or replace any loose or damaged wallpaper.
16. Clean all light bulbs and dust light fixtures to brighten the home.
17. Wash all windows inside and out. This is a great tip if you have windows that are a focal point in a room.
18. Use plants in transitional areas of your house (i.e. hallways, foyer, stair landings etc.).
19. Make the most of your attic’s potential. Organize and de-clutter to show off the additional storage space.
20. Remove and/or hide access extension cords and exposed wires.
21. Open doors to areas where you want potential buyers to see (such as walk-in closets, pantries, attics, etc.).
22. Remove all smoke and pet odors (see our blog post on removing tobacco stench).
23. Repair or replace banisters and handrails.
SELL HOME FAST – In the Kitchen
24. Microwave a small dish of vanilla 20 minutes before a showing and place it in an out-of-the-way place.
25. Highlight an eat-in area in your kitchen with a table set for dinner.
26. The kitchen and bathrooms should ALWAYS be spotlessly clean.
27. Expand your counter space by removing small appliances.
SELL HOME FAST – In the Bedrooms
28. Create a master suite effect in your decorating.
29. Depersonalize bedrooms and decorate in a neutral scheme.
30. Make sure that the beds are made and the linens are clean.
31. Organize your closets, remove unnecessary items and put them in storage.
SELL HOME FAST – In the Bathrooms
32. Do not leave towels around and wipe down the sinks and shower areas after each use.
33. Re-caulk the tub if the caulk is not sparkling white.
34. Repair or replace broken tiles in the shower/tub.
35. Replace shower and keep them clean.
36. Put out fresh towels and decorative soaps.
SELL HOME FAST – Outside
37. Keep the yard mowed and raked at all times.
38. Use flowering plants to dress up the yard, walkway and patio.
39. Remove all toys, bicycles, tools, unsightly patio furniture and trash from the yard.
40. Porches, steps, verandas, balconies, patios and other extensions of the house should be kept uncluttered, swept and in good condition.
41. Paint all entrance doors.
42. Make sure the garage door opens easily. Fix and paint the garage door if necessary.
43. Clean and shine all hardware and accessories indoors and out (door knobs, knockers, lamps, mail box, address numbers etc.)
44. Trees and shrubs should be trimmed and pruned.
45. Use a new doormat.
46. Be sure the front doorbell is in good working order.
47. Be sure the front door and screen door works perfectly.
Using these “Sell Home Fast” tips can quickly move your home from “For Sale” to “Sold”!